Guided Meditations from the Bible

Part II

Guided Meditations from the Bible



Why include a section on meditation?

It's no secret that our lives are often stressful. If you are like most of us, even your prayer times can be taken over by thoughts and feelings related to a difficult conflict. Sometimes, you realize you haven't even been praying, you've been fretting instead. Sometimes, you realize you haven't even enjoyed the refreshment of God's presence; you've been spending time with your worries instead of God.

These meditations are meant to be antidotes for that tendency. They are not meant to be used rigidly or as a substitution for your prayer and devotional life. The Scripture verses have been arranged or paraphrased to help you meditate on God's Word and enjoy God's presence. If you don't find that happening, please don't use them!

These meditations are also organized around your breathing. There are a few reasons for this. First, people understand that paying attention to how you are breathing calms us down. (That's why my father would tell me to breathe slowly and count to ten when I was angry.) It helps us see that there is more going on than just the situation we are in.

But there are some more important reasons for Christians. Breath is, in the Scriptures, a reminder of God's breath, the Holy Spirit. And God breathed life into human beings as the crown of creation. The breath should be a natural reminder of both God's creative, loving, powerful presence in the world and also the gift of life in each one of us. Why shouldn't we be filled with love and awe every time we take a breath? It is a gift from God!

May these Scriptures, then, breathe new hope, joy, and peace into our lives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meditation on The Breath of Life

This brief meditation reminds us of God's special work in breathing life into humanity - awareness of breath for the Christian should be awareness of the precious nature of the gift of life and life's constant dependence on God's spirit. Use the meditation by reciting the long phrase on your first in and out breath, then just sitting in silence for several minutes before progressing to the next phrase. You can use the key words (e.g., dust / body) during the silences to help you keep focused.

"Then the LORD God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature." Genesis 1:27


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Aware that I am made of dust, I breathe in.

Aware of my body, wonderfully and fearfully made, I breathe out.

Dust / Body


2. Aware of life in my body, I breathe in.

Aware that God gives the breath of life, I breathe out.

Life / Breath


3. Aware of the presence of God, I breathe in.

Aware of God's peace, I breathe out.

Presence / Peace

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meditation on The Fruit of the Spirit


This scripture meditation is based on the fruit of the Spirit listed in Galatians 5. See the instructions that follow.


I.
May I be filled with the fruit of the Spirit.
May I be loving, peaceful and joyful.
May I be free from anger, envy, and lust.

II.
May I cultivate a quiet and patient mind.
May I learn to look at myself and others with kindness and gentleness.
May I be free from craving and cruelty.

III.
May I be led by the Spirit.
May I nourish the seeds of goodness, faithfulness and self-control in myself.
May I be free from grasping and greed, but not indifferent.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fruit of the Spirit Meditation: Instructions

Begin by praying these verses for yourself. You are opening your heart to God. When distracting thoughts come, just return to the scripture without judging yourself. You simply return to the promise of the Spirit's presence in your life.

You can take as long as you want to sit with these words, but this is not a time to analyze them. You are praying, just indicating your willingness for God to bring the fruit of the Spirit into your life.

When you are ready, return to the beginning of the prayer and extend it to others. Think of someone who is dear to you, someone that you love. Meditate again, praying they will be filled with this good fruit.

Return a third time to the beginning and think of someone who you don't know well at all, an acquaintance or someone you see but have never taken the time to know. Hold them also before your mind as you pray.

The fourth meditation is the hard part. Pray for someone who irritates you, someone who is hostile toward you, someone who makes you sad or angry, someone who has hurt you, or someone you cannot forgive. Pray for your enemies, as Christ commanded us.

You could keep praying like this indefinitely for family, friends, acquaintances, enemies, government, etc. When you are ready to end, though, return to the beginning and pray for yourself one last time.

This is an excellent way begin a day, prepare for (or deal with) a difficult situation, or close an evening. If you meditate like this consistently, you will find that you naturally have a calmer disposition, more open to the love of God and the love of others. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meditation on The Wonder of Creation

This meditation follows the order of creation in Genesis 1, which leads us through the diversity of our universe. Feel free to substitute specific objects (e.g., a star, a flower, a bug, etc.) as you meditate.

Cultivating gratitude for the natural world and awareness for its complexity is an especially useful skill in peacebuilding, giving us the opportunity to see a bigger picture of God's work in the world beyond the conflict we are struggling with.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. Genesis 1:1

1. Aware of the wonderful gift of light, I breathe in.
Praising the God who made light, I breathe out.
Light / Thanks

2. Aware of the wonderful gift of water, I breathe in.
Praising the God who made water, I breathe out.
Water / Thanks

3. Seeing the wonders of the heavens, I breathe in.
Praising the God who made the heavens, I breathe out.
Heavens / Thanks

4. Seeing the beauty of the earth, I breathe in.
Praising the God who made the dry land, I breathe out.
Earth / Thanks

5. Grateful for the flowers and fruits and all kinds of plants, I breathe in.
Praising the God who made the seed, I breathe out.
Flowers and Fruit / Thanks

6. Grateful for the sun and the moon in the sky above, I breathe in.
Praising the God who gave light upon the earth, I breathe out.
Sun and Moon / Thanks

7. Amazed at the swimming of fish and flight of birds, I breathe in.
Praising the God who filled the sea and sky with life, I breathe out.
Birds and Fish / Thanks

8. Amazed at the animals and insects in the trees, on and under the ground,
I breathe in.
Praising the God who created them all according to their kind, I breathe out.
Animals / Thanks

9. Remembering that humans are made in the image of God, I breathe in.
Praising the God who shared the joy of life with us, I breathe out.
God's Life / Thanks

10. Remembering that God saw everything He had made and called it 'very good,' I breathe in.
Praising the God who rested and blessed His creation, I breathe out.
Good / Rest

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Guided Meditation: On the Peace of Christ

This scripture meditation is based on Colossians 3. See the instructions that follow.


~~~~~~~~

I.
May the peace of Christ rule in my heart this day.
May I be clothed with compassion and kindness.
May I be free from malice, slander, and abusive words.

II.
May the Word of Christ dwell richly in me.
May I be clothed with humility, gentleness, and patience.
May I be free from complaining and lying.

III.
May the forgiveness of Christ overflow me this day.
May I, over all these things, put on love.
And whatever I do in word or deed, may I do all in the name of Jesus,
giving thanks through Him to God the Father.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Peace of Christ Meditation: Instructions

Begin by praying these verses for yourself. You are opening your heart to God. When distracting thoughts come, just return to the scripture without judging yourself. You simply return to the promise of Christ's peace.

You can take as long as you want to sit with these words, but this is not a time to analyze them. You are praying, just indicating your willingness for God to bring peace into your life.

When you are ready, return to the beginning of the prayer and extend it to others. Think of someone who is dear to you, someone that you love. Meditate again, placing your loved one in the peace of Christ.

Return a third time to the beginning and think of someone who you don't know well at all, an acquaintance or someone you see but have never taken the time to know. Hold them also before your mind as you pray.

The fourth meditation on the peace of Christ is the hard part. Pray for someone who irritates you, someone who is hostile toward you, someone who makes you sad or angry, someone who has hurt you, or someone you cannot forgive. Pray for your enemies, as Christ commanded us.

You could keep praying like this indefinitely for family, friends, acquaintances, enemies, government, etc. When you are ready to end, though, return to the beginning and pray for yourself one last time.

This is an excellent way begin a day, prepare for (or deal with) a difficult situation, or close an evening. If you meditate like this consistently, you will find that you naturally have a calmer disposition, more open to the love of God and the love of others. :)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Guided Meditation: Resting in God

This guided meditation is based on Isaiah 30:15, where the prophet combines both beauty and tragedy. God's invitation to rest is rejected by his people in favor of trusting - resting in - the armies of Egypt.

The whole chapter is a condemnation of that tendency in Jerusalem's politics – a tendency that is within each of us as well. If we look deeply at our days we can see how often we are unwilling to return to the simple gift of God's presence we have today and enjoy it.

It is amazing and beautiful to be alive, and Isaiah's words invite us back to that quiet beauty.

Sit with this gentle promise. Its simplicity cannot be exhausted.

The God of Peace rescues us from frantic hearts and minds into the solid refuge of quiet trust.


Meditation on Resting in God

For thus said the Lord GOD, the Holy One of Israel,
"In returning and rest you shall be saved;
in quietness and in trust shall be your strength." (Isaiah 30:15 ESV)
*****

Breathing in, I return to God's presence.

Breathing out, I rest in God's presence.

Returning / Resting



Breathing in, I quiet my restless heart.

Breathing out, I let go in trust of God.

Quiet / Trust